Do you have an issue with crawling insects?
Insects in your home can be a real nuisance!
There are many signs that crawling insects leave behind. To control crawling insects you must be able to identity these signs.
Signs of Ants
- Ant Sightings in and around the home
- Finding Frass is debris or excrement produced by ants.
- Hearing an active colony may make a dry, rustling sound that becomes louder if the ant colony is disturbed.
- Viewing Ant trails and Ant nests
How to get rid of ants from your home or business
- Kill off the trail of ants by using a wet soapy sponge or cloth wipe down the ant trail, whilst collecting the ants. Alternately you can spray the trail with an all purpose cleaner/solution and wipe down. Making sure you clean up and collect all ants.
- Kill any individual ants quickly by squishing them to prevent them from communicating back to the Ant nest.
- Exterminate the ants with poisonous bait. Set bait where the ants are active. Watch them swarm it and carry back to nest. You want them to carry it back and kill the colony and the queen.
- Go for the nest or anthill by locating the Nest, and carefully dig the soil to puncture and pour boiling water into nest making sure you use enough to kill entire colony
How to prevent Ants Infesting your home or business
There are many ways to prevent ants from infesting your home or business. Follow these simple steps to prevent Ant infestations.
- Keep your home clean
- Put food in airtight containers
- Wipe down all surfaces
- Keep sink clean
- Put pet food bowls in slightly smaller bowl on a moat of water
- Seal your house securely with seal solution at the entry points
- If you think you might have and Ant infestation in your home you will need to contact DC Pest Inspectionsfor a pest inspection.
Signs of Bed Bugs
- Signs of bed bugs may be dark spotting and staining on the bed frame and mattress or rusty blood spots on the bedding. In most cases these dark spots turn out to be dry bed bug feces.
- There may be also traces of molted skin, eggs or eggshells or rusty blood spots
- One of the biggest challenges is to locate and treat all the places where bed bugs eggs might have been deposited
How to get rid of Bedbugs from your home or business
Bed Bugs are small crawling insects that can live anywhere in your home. Bed bugs are small, flat, oval, brown to redish-brown insects, which feed on warm-blooded Humans, Pets and animals.
Follow these steps to ensure the complete eradication and removal of bedbugs in your home or business.
- Thoroughly wash, vacuum or clean all surfaces and bedding.
- Wash bedding and affected clothing where possible, using hot water. Dry in a clothes drier on a hot setting.
- Vacuum mattresses, seal in dark plastic and leave outside in the hot sun for as long as possible.
- Steam clean carpets.
- Spray common hiding spots with a surface insecticide registered to control bedbugs. Follow the label directions carefully. Do not treat bedding with insecticide.
If you think you might have and Bed Bug infestation in your home you will need to contact DC Pest Inspectionsfor a pest inspection.
Signs of Cockroaches
There are many signs of Cockroaches, the common ones to look out for are:
- Finding Cockroach droppings – Cockroaches leave small, black droppings lying around
- Finding Cockroach eggs cases
- Shed skin
- Damage to property
- Seeing live cockroaches – most likely in the evening
- Odour – Cockroach infestations produce an unpleasant, musty smell
How to get rid of cockroaches
Cockroaches can live anywhere, even on your toothbrush! There are over 3,500 species of cockroach worldwide. The most common varieties in Australia include the German, American and Oriental cockroaches.
- Keep your house and office clean
- Cockroaches are attracted to food residue, particularly grease. Be sure to wipe down surfaces at night, never leave dirty dishes in the sink and be sure to sweep the floors. (This includes the bathroom..as we all know they love to hang around your toothbrush at night.)
- Seal up cracks and holes. Including Inside your pantry, between the countertop and the wall and in the baseboards.
- Fix any water leaks, Cockroaches are attracted to moisture.
- Kill Cockroaches by spraying it with home made solution or store bought products or…. you could just stomp on it!
If you see Cockroaches around your home or business you might have a Cockroaches infestation. To successfully get rid of Cockroaches you must always to go to the source, which is the Cockroach Nest. To find the source and get rid of Cockroach infestations contact DC Pest Control for a pest inspection.
Signs of Fleas
- Can you visually see Fleas on yourself, pets or the carpet
- Can you see flea droppings the size of ground black pepper on your pets, carpets or rugs
- Can you find Flea eggs, which can be hard to find
How to get rid of fleas
A Flea bite is intensely irritating for you and your pets. Fleas are a type of wingless parasite found worldwide. They feed off the blood of humans and animals such as dogs and cats.
If you do find fleas in your home, you can eradicate them by
- Quarantine infested pets.
- Wash all; bedding, rugs, throws and textiles in soapy water. (This is known to kill the eggs, larvae, pupae and adults.)
- To pick up the eggs vacuum everything. This includes; furniture, carpets, cracks in the floor, bare floors, corners, behind doors, and anywhere else that dust collects. Post vacuuming, immediately dispose of the vacuum bag outside to prevent escaping of larvae.
- Remove larvae by having the carpet steam cleaned. the steam will kill every stage of flea except eggs). Make sure you warn the cleaners about the fleas and remove infested animals.
How to prevent Flea infestations
- Clean and vacuum frequently.
- Keep your yard clean of garbage and pet droppings.
- Protect pets by keeping them on a leash when outside, give them lots of baths, give them monthly flea and tick treatments and take them to the vet at least once a year to make sure they haven’t been infested.
If you see Fleas around your home or on your pets you might have a Flea infestation. To successfully get rid of Fleas contact DC Pest Inspectionsfor a pest inspection.
Signs of Spiders
- Spider webs can be seen around windows, light fitting, in brickwork and nearly everywhere you can imagine. If you see a spider web it is most likely that there is a spider around
- Spiders in webs or crawling around
- Dead insects, spiders eat insect so there could be dead insects around a spider infestation.
Signs of Silverfish
Finding Silverfish on the floor, in a sink, in your shower, or your bath.
- Feeding damage, small holes and yellowish stains on clothing, books, linen, silks, wallpaper, cereal boxes, and other cardboard or fabric materials and other carbohydrates particularly starches
- Damp, dark areas with small spots of feces that look like tiny black pepper.
- Small holes and yellowish stains on clothing, wallpaper, cereal boxes, and other cardboard or fabric
How to get rid of Silverfish
- A few wooden balls soaked with camphor oil and stored with your goods is effective. Other options include cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Cloves eradicate silverfish, they can be scattered throughout affected areas like drawers, wardrobes and linen cupboards.
- Put food and valuable books and papers in secure containers.
- Create a Silverfish jar trap by: covered on the outside of a jar with masking tape and with bread at the bottom of the jar. The tape provides traction for the silverfish to climb up to the mouth of the jar. If they fall into the jar they will be trapped, since they won’t be able to climb up the smooth inside surface of the jar to get out.
If you have a Silverfish problem in your home that you would like a solution for, you can contact DC Pest Inspections for a pest inspection.
While it is possible to handle insect infestations yourself, it certainly does prove helpful to get the advice of a pest control expert.
DC Pest and Building Inspections are professional pest inspectors that will help you resolve your insect issue.
DC Pest and Building Inspections are premium building inspectors. Building and Pest Inspections have been the family business for over four generations, making us one of the most knowledgable in the industry. Our building inspectors and pest inspectors are fully qualified with Australian carpenter and builder certifications. Whether you’re getting a building or pest inspection, all of our inspectors are meticulous in their evaluation of every property. This enables you to purchase the property with confidence, or avoid a nasty surprise! DC Pest and Building Inspections is based in the Sutherland Shire. We regularly inspect homes all over Sydney and Wollongong. If you are thinking of purchasing a new home, why not check out one of our Pre-Purchase Building Inspections. We also offer a wide range of building and pest reports that all comply with the Australian Standard (AS 4349.1).
Need a Building or Pest Inspector? Call Us Today!