Do you have an issue with Rodents?
Rodents in your home are an irritating and unhygienic nuisance!
Rodents can be found in a host of different environments. In cold weather rodents will be searching for warmth and food, often in your home.
Rodent Control: How To Get Rid of Rodents
It is important to recognise what rodent species you are dealing with. Our well trained pest controller’s eye can determine what species by a range of different factors including their droppings. At DC Pest and Building inspections when it comes to rodent control we know that this is one of the most successful means of determining one species from another.
Rodent Control: What are Rodents?
There are many different rodent species in Australia both Native and introduced, but there are only 3 commensal species which are the house mouse, Norway rat and roof rat. Commensal means living at mans expense without contributing anything beneficial to the relationship.
Rodents can be found in a host of different environments. Rodents are one of the most successful mammals in the world. They have been able to inhabit all areas on earth and exploit all food and harbourage. They are a transmitter of disease due to the environment that they inhabit. They then carry the disease on their body to your home, commercial kitchen, food manufacturing site, café. It is for this reason that DC Pest and Building inspections takes rodent control seriously. We recommend contacting us at the first signs of rodents to avoid the possibility of them multiplying.
Rodent Control: Signs of rodents, Rats & Mice
At DC Pest and Building Inspections, we know that these are the first signs of rodents in your home or business:
- Rodents may be seen during the day but are usually more active at night
- Rodents have poor eyesight and will follow the same routes usually close to walls or against fences, these routes are often clearly visible as trials
- Rodents have oily fur which will result in smear marks when they are regularly running along a route
- Rodents don’t hide the waste that they leave behind, and rats, with their high metabolism, leave behind a lot of droppings, in the form of 1/2 inch little fecal pellets
- Rodents also leave behind brown grease on the areas they frequently travel, and they create many tunnels and pathways in the insulation.
Rodent Control: Getting Rid of Rats and Rat Infestations
The most important point that we can stress is if you discover rodents, take action immediately as they are fast breeders. Everyone knows the saying “multiply like mice.” Rodents are extremely proficient breeders which means their population can grow rapidly. DC Pest and Building Inspections has witnessed rodent populations multiply at alarming rates if left unchecked. If you do find rats living in your home or workplace follow the steps below to eradicate them and follow up with prevention strategies:
- Find and identify the rat feeding areas. Remove and isolate and food sources that the rats might be accessing
- Find and identify the rat nesting areas and remove access to these areas
- Setup rat baits stations or traditional snapping rattraps in rat infested areas and check regularly.
Prevention Rats and Rat Infestations:
- Keep all trash sealed and take it out anytime you throw food away.
- Seal up all the food in your house and keep everything in closed containers.
- Remove any ability for rats to enter your home by closing up all holes in your walls, doors and screens.
- Regularly clean pet food bowls and pet eating areas of old and uneaten food.
- Professional Rats Control and Removal.
If you see signs of Rats around your home you might have a Rat infestation. To successfully get rid of Rats contact DC Pest Control for a Pest inspection.
Rodent Control: How to get rid of Mice?
Follow these steps to get rid of and control mice from your home or business:
- Set mouse traps in high traffic areas and check them replacing bait daily2
- If the traps alone don’t work, try mice bait stations.
- Experiment with natural methods like peppermint oil or moth balls
Preventing Mice and Mouse Infestations:
- Take precautions to prevent mice from entering/returning:
- Keep food stored away in sealed containers
- Secure your house from any points of entry
If you see signs of Mice around your home you might have a Mice infestation. To successfully get rid of Mice contact DC Pest Control for a Rodent inspection.
While it is possible to handle rodent infestations yourself, it certainly does prove helpful to get the advice of a pest control expert.
DC Pest and Building Inspections are professional pest inspectors that will help you resolve your rodent issue.
DC Pest and Building Inspections are premium building inspectors. Building and Pest Inspections have been the family business for over four generations, making us one of the most knowledgable in the industry. Our building inspectors and pest inspectors are fully qualified with Australian carpenter and builder certifications. Whether you’re getting a building or pest inspection, all of our inspectors are meticulous in their evaluation of every property. This enables you to purchase the property with confidence, or avoid a nasty surprise! DC Pest and Building Inspections is based in the Sutherland Shire. We regularly inspect homes all over Sydney and Wollongong. If you are thinking of purchasing a new home, why not check out one of our Pre-Purchase Building Inspections. We also offer a wide range of building and pest reports that all comply with the Australian Standard (AS 4349.1).
Need a Building or Pest Inspector? Call Us Today!